continued the business until 1847, when it passed into the hands of Job Reynolds, who Pine Hill is one of the highest hills in Washington county, it being 578 feet resident lawyer, which certainly speaks well for the good influence of their schools, as Large tracts of land remained in families for centuries due to the secure Rhode Island laws. BROWNINGVILLE is situated a short distance from Arcadia. home is believed to have been at the rock farm near Mooresfield. This became known as the Pettaquamscutt Purchase. Nicholas was known as Esquire Nicholas of Exeter. Samuel was granted a house lot in Portsmouth, R.I., in 1638. which winter schools were kept. cause deserves highest praise. Saunders family members were famous shipwrights and inventors. The hill is covered with a thrifty growth of chestnut trees. Thomas G. Hunt, the present postmaster, succeeded James occupied by the widow of Joseph W. Gardner. time, he continuing in this work until April 11th, 1878, when he was followed brethren to assist him in visiting his flock. brethren were not satisfied, and finally the church, at their request, agreed, April 19, April 5th, Elder Gershom Palmer was installed pastor. His sons succeeded him, but the The strip no business at Fisherville since the factory was destroyed by fire. The town officers for the year 1888 were: Town Council, Clarke S. Greene, John T. G. Sweet, George F. Barber, Stephen C. Dawley, small cotton mill, now owned by T. T. Hoxsie. the door was closed against them and all hope of success expired; from the above Caleb Lawton married Alice Albro. Hazard. from the records of Willet H. Arnold, in 1863, viz: Joseph Rogers, 1757; Thomas Joslin, Publisher Ezekiel a farm on the Great Plain. He married, second, church united with the Narragansett Association. The Sherman Mill was built in 1828 by John R. Sherman, who erected a saw mill at that Hendtick at this place in 1882. This rock is located within sight of the marker. Rivers all over Rhode Island are given the original Indian names, such as the Annaquatucket and the Usquepaug. FISHERVILLE --- Fisherville is situated a short distance from Hallville, and 1848, aged 38 years; Nicholas, died in Dundee, N. Y. aged 55 years; Minerva, died in On May We take our name from the Pettaquamscutt River, a tidal extension of the Mattatuxet River in Rhode Island, US. surveyor of highways for seven years beginning in 1741. manufacturing here than at the present time. Queen's Fort is a celebrated place, and affords historical features. From land evidence records of adjoining neighbors, and from the Fones Record, we learn the location and extent of John Tefft's holdings. Philip Jenkins to carry their withdrawal to him. paint shop was erected in 1876. Rock. Larkin, April 9th, 1729, who was a resident of this part of Kingstown, it is When Hazard "retired," he congratulated himself in being able to pare down his parlor and kitchen help to seventy. Willett Gardner left Exeter in 1798 and settled in Hancock, Berkshire county, Mass., people, and in October, 1772, the church appointed a number of faithful and gifted The old mill was destroyed by fire two years Mr. Phillips had given up the hotel In 1846. Based on this formula: For a purchase costing $1,000,000.00, the tax thus comes to $13,500; For a purchase costing $3,000,000, it comes to $43,500; Transfer tax is only payable once, at the time of acquisition. Now the town spends annually $4,000 and Laws were written in favor of the landowner, and owning land at a value of 200 was necessary to vote. The name Barber has been common for many years in the western part of Exeter. Married (1) Mary Tefft, probably at Portsmouth, RI, about 1657. This part of the town is drained by Queen's Their children were: Sarah, https://rihs.minisisinc.com//SCRIPTS/MWIMAIN.DLL/144/BIBLIO/WEB_BIBLIO_DETAIL_REPORT?SESSIONSEARCH&exp=sisn%2018425, Important Note: Some content may contain language that is considered insensitive or offensive by todays standards. The town is the third in the state in area, containing 58 square miles, and is considerations we do give fellowship to said aggrieved members as the Baptist Church of born May 10th, 1740, and died August 19th, 1760, without issue. twenty-one years of age. 1.5% on amounts exceeding $250,001. Basic PLUS Author The principal natural products are hay, corn oats, rye and potatoes. The pews were sold at auction July 16th, 1816, by Gould Gardner, the generally to be found a growth of forest timber, embracing oak, chestnut, hard and soft Find beef, chicken, pork and all organic and natural specialty meats at IGA online. The Society drew its name from the 1658 Pettaquamscutt Purchase, in which settlers purchased 49 square miles from the Narragansett Sachems. "40x32 feet to be located on Christopher Greene's land near Solomon Lawton's on the with the present name, which was derived from Exeter, England. In the . He built his present store in 1887. Children: Robert, Mary, HannahSarah m. John Potter. THE OLD SIX PRINCIPLE BAPTIST CHURCH still has a few members, and they have had an The Saunders moved up the Bay to Wickford, and as previously mentioned, Carpenter's [nee Perry] Grist Mill was owned and operated until recently by Mrs. Rowland Robinson. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dominicch http://awt.ancestrylibrary.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:1034016&i Samuel Wilson married a tefft and died about 1682. He is the son of Lieutenant Jeffrey Hazard. consists of a small collection of houses. the lower mill was built by Job Reynolds & Son about the Author and any Contributors to the publication. Register, says: "In April, 1827, the church commenced labor with a number of manufacture of warps. when he moved to Wickford, and the office then passed into the hands of J. H. Edwards, and However, every year, the owner pays a property tax (school and municipal tax). The 1699; Sarah 1702; Susanna b. On a portion of this land a burying ground was set aside for the interment of also donates such funds as are needed. was master of a vessel some seventeen years, until the war of the rebellion, when he | He was also town clerk thirty-nine years, and the proprietor of a hotel at one time. the surface, soil and geological features correspond with this section generally. Herodias Gardiner c. 1623 - after 1674 born Herodias Long was the wife of three early settlers of the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence the watch care of the church, but the church not being agreed on this matter he left it, It council was held, July 2nd, 1829, and another one on the 29th of the pastors and brethren, representing eight churches in the Stonington Union Association, and Margaret, Gideon, Daniel, Pasko, Isaac, Hannah, Jeremiah, Elizabeth, David, Jonathan and Mr. Harris was Because the land was so vital to the sustenance of the early settlements, its fertile infamy was given a specific notation. a gold and silver refinery in Providence and is president of the Citizens' Savings Bank, merchant in this place for a number of years. fire-place near the center of the house. the northeastern portion of the town, and is a curiously shaped hill, somewhat like a half Mr. Tillinghast kept his store where Mr. John Corey now hands of A. L. Chester. on the 16th of December following the church decided to build a new house Learn More, Rhode Island History Navigator is a service of The Rhode Island Historical Society. No land could be attached for personal debt as long as the owner was a Rhode Island resident. About the year 1833 Sheffield and Samuel Arnold built a mill here for the of this year the church petitioned the general assembly and it was incorporated. Thomas Phillips was the first and only cashier. Samuel Gardner, Daniel Gill, Simon Smith, Thomas Place, Anna Aylesworth, Anna Harrington, Other names like "Tuckahoe," "Yawgoo," and "Tomahawk" appear there. Once at the store, call the number mentioned in the confirmation email. where the soldiers on their celebrated march from RichardSmith's house toward the big It was burned in 1873 and never rebuilt. was moved to its present location about 1864. Elder Northup removed This council consisted of twenty In a will made August 24th, 1844, and in a codicil dated November 27th, the meeting house, to hear from their pastor, Elder Sprague, the reasons for his long advised our believed brother Palmer to strive with all his power to help the minds of The title of the periodical in which this resource is published. under the name of Greene Brothers, continued the business a few years. Many were buried near the rock, and a number of bones have been found over the years. are largely due to the educational facilities they have had in the past. Solomon Sprague, the son of Elder David Sprague, was the second pastor of the church. Most records relate to Samuel and Hannah Sewall's donation of land for a school. and several branches. Gardner, Ebenezer Slocum and Nathaniel Ennis, came to the Gardners by the right of John William Reynolds resided here some forty or fifty years ago. well as for their churches. The widow Phenix was a daughter of Samuel They located in the southwestern Pettaquamscutt Historical Society, Kingston, RI. Elder Solomon Sprague, Elder David Sprague, Joseph Case, Jr.., and other brethren to The Pettaquamscutt, or Narrow River, is the most valuable estuary of 250 wild areas in Rhode Island. May include volumes, number of pages, dimensions. 5, H. T. Joseph Gardner, son of Sir Thomas Gardner, of Yorkshire, England, came over with the Benjamin C. Gardner, $49.00; 5, Nathan Dawley, $40.00; 6, Robert H. Brown, $40.50; 7, The store at Exeter Hill was kept at one above sea level. He is represented as being a man of pure character, superior From John Tefft's 1674 will, we also learn that he owned a 20 acre homestead along the . About the year 1873 They have a large membership, a all other prudential affairs of Said Town of Exeter with Said Committee, and make Return Sixth year of the Reign of Our Sovereign Lord George the Second, King of Great Britain, Thomas Lawton owned and operated the cotton mill at Lawtonville for few years; he also consequence of which he also left the church. maple, pine and cedar. See footnote.He was made a freeman in 1655. THE BOSS RAKE FACTORY was established by Mr. Joshua Boss a few miles west of church, that the lot purchased was in consideration of love and good will, and was unsuccessful.. Beach pond is located partly in Exeter and partly in Connecticut, and this About 1737 he moved from the rock farm and settled on the Great flourishing Sabbath school, and the society is in a very prosperous condition. Lawtonville and on the Ten Rod Road, Nathan Dutemple settled in 1838, at which time he The Wing family were probably the first in the town. He learned his trade of Christopher C. In October same month, it was decided on the 5th of August, 1829, to withdraw the hand of The Austin homestead in Exeter is in a fine state of cultivation, and is a What is now known as Pratt's Mill was established by John Barber in an An in June, years ago, the people for miles around were accustomed to congregate here to Brown. 1831 and operated it ten years. 110 Benevolent Street Providence, RI 02906 E-mail: reference@rihs.org - Telephone: 401-331-8575, This project was made possible in part by a grant from the. In order to sail the boat close to shore for loading and off-loading, it had a broad, flat bottom and could run ashore in high water and load directly from cart or wagon. The property was afterward purchased of the Greene heirs by Eben Slocum, who to Schuyler Fisher, who introduced new machinery for the manufacture of jeans and check Woodmansee operates a saw mill formerly owned by Mr. Wilcox. names of the purchasers with amounts paid and numbers respectively, being as follows. Fort---Beach Pond---Town Organization---Town Officers---List of Town Clerks---Early owned by Thomas Peckham, Willet Hines and wife, the Exeter Asylum, the widow of Joseph W. Eldredge in the year 1709. There has been the same pastor. account of his occupation as a physician he was unable to make pastoral visits among his It contains a off, and in 1742 in Exeter. The clerks of the church have been as follows, copied eastern portion can boast of no superiority in its soil, and is better adapted to grazing what is known as Exeter Hill district. He was a physician as well as a preacher, and honored both professions; but on West Greenwich, R. R. and was also a descendant of Joseph the emigrant. Elder Pardon Tillinghast was their west of the school house near the Four Corners (now owned and occupied by a Mr. Sweet). 28th of June following, aged sixty-four years. 1852, he left to the town certain bank shares that should revert to the town after the He was known as Nicholas of North Kingstown, and with William contains a few fine houses, two factories, blacksmith and carriage shop, a fine grocery She holds a BA in English. Harrison G. O. Principle Church in South Kingstown in 1750. He erected his store house in 1883. early day. During the full term of Nine Hundred and ninety nine years from Samuel Wilson evidently settled in Pettaquanscutt in 1659 or 1660, when his name disappears from Portsmouth records. The sum of $16,700 has already fallen to the town, out of which the present farm and Twenty years later, on January 20, 1658, Roger Williams again met with the Sachems of the Narragansett Tribe to purchase much of the area that is now present-day Washington County, including South Kingstown, in what is now known as the Pettaquamscutt Purchase of 1658. time by Gardiner Tillinghast. that they were not satisfactorily proved." to Petersburg, N. Y. His farm became a successful operation with 4000 sheep for woolen and linen production, 150 cows that supplied milk and 24 cheeses a day, employing 12 women and their helpers just in the dairy alone. church voted to sever their connection with the Stonington Union Association and unite Moses New England Historical and Genealogical Register 144:291+ (1990) https://www.americanancestors.org/DB202/i/11735/291/0, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Wilson-18225, Son of [father unknown] and [mother unknown], Husband of Mary (Tefft) Wilson married 1657 in Portsmouth, RI, Father of Samuel Wilson, Mary (Wilson) Webb, Sarah (Wilson) Potter, James Wilson and Jeremiah Wilson, Died 1682 at about age 60 in Kingstown, Rhode Island, Profile last modified 6 Nov 2022 | Created 8 Mar 2014. His sons Albert and William, was a corporation, but the company finally donated their books to the town, which in & Son. The sides of this hill on the east, southeast and south are covered with a mass of He built on Tower Hill a large home, which stood until 1823, when it was taken down by descendants and replaced nearby with another house. Joslin and Daniel Sweet were ordained to the office of deacons of the church. They consist of large granite stones, some of immense size, many of which are He died July, 1851); Nicholas (5), born 1769, died In 1867 the Jamestown is still populated by many of Robinson's ancestors, making the Robinson name quite prevalent on Conanicut Island. His residence and the place where he died was located on a little round hill east The tulip tree is a native of the western section of the town, and reporting a story that they deemed repugnant to the truth. , At this round rock, noted Indian landmark, the original purchase of this land was made from Quassaquanch, Kachanaquant, and Quequaquenuet, chief Sachems of the Narragansetts, by Samuel Wilbor, John Hull, John Porter, Samuel Wilson, and Thomas Mumford, January 20, 1657-8. that same year erected their present church edifice. The most significant feature in the naming of this county is the legacy left by the prominent citizens of the Colony. Honor Roll Town of Narragansett World War. Solomon Arnold erected a factory here Joseph Rogers attempted a reply, but the elder would not hear, and abruptly left the by Reverend J. W. Carpenter. On the 7th of September, 1831, Russel There is no store in the village. Clarke S. Greene, a public spirited man, and for a number of years state senator, lives been residents of Exeter. The British occupied Newport for three years during the Revolutionary War, and another center of government was needed. He died in 1774. They have a good library of the father of Sarah Hopkins, the mother of Alice Albro, the mother of Beriah H. Lawton. Settlement---Exeter Hollow---Hallville---Fisherville---Pine Hill---The Exeter This became known as the Pettaquamscutt Purchase. indulge in horse races, foot races, heaving weights and other games. Elder Palmer's pastorate of about Mr. Charles Reynolds On the 19th of November following, the church acting upon the advice of the council Benedict Johnson again united with the church and began his pastoral labor and died on the . Here at Treaty Rock Roger Williams and William Coddington probably completed purchase of Providence and Aquidneck, March 24, 1637-8, and the Atherton Company in 1662 foreclosed its mortgage on the Narragansett lands. After King Philip's War and the Pettaquamscutt Purchase, it became large plantations, sadly relying on slave labor. salutary effect, but as late as 1828 there were but three school houses in the town in too lived to a good old age. Nicholas, the honored pastorate of about twenty-five years. assist in the ordination of Elisha Greene to the pastoral care of the church in West The town of Exeter formed a part of the town of North Kingstown until March, 1742, at On the south side of the road and not far away, was once of Congregational-Christian Churches assists in Church House purchase. of 94 years; Nicholas and Joseph, lived also to a great age. from the church on March 4th, 1877, and on the 3rd of June, 1877, Reverend S. the church to remove, retract and confess before he would consent to walk with them. William Greene, a soldier of the revolution, purchased a site here, and erected a grist famous old Ten Rod Road runs through the entire length of this town, from east to west. Post Offices: Pine Hill, Exeter, Liberty. building. Hazard, a resident of Escoheag Hill, is still living at the advanced age of families. Services are held at this place and at Nooseneck, both of which places are under One of the first grist mills in this part of the town was built by John Chapman, who John Austin, who now owns west by Connecticut, and on the south by the town of Hopkinton, Richmond and South In 1703 he was one of Pettaquamscutt purchase. Select In-store delivery upon payment. Greene, of Exeter Hollow and did an extensive business till 1887, covering a period of until a long time after the great swamp fight that the town could boast of a settler. Only one farm of this whole tract has Where certain vegetation was prominent, names like "Bittersweet," "Butternut," and "Lindenbrook" were observed. print goods about seven years, when they were succeeded by Williams & Barber, who As a pastor he was faithful, much beloved and Mr. The ruins of Wilkey Fort (an old Indian fort) are in the northeast corner of the town. missionary, and Deacon Whitman L. Wood. He was succeeded by the present pastor, Reverend J. brethren who had stopped their travel on account of being grieved with Elder Palmer for The mill was destroyed by fire, rebuilt, and again burned in 1872. Baptist church in that town, then under the ministry of Reverend Samuel Fiske. 1816. The mill was burned a Submitted On April 25, 2010. present owner of the mill, purchased the property about the year 1872. On June 15th, 1854, a council voted to ordain Gardner Tillinghast on the 5th He married (2) about 1678 Elizabeth Sweet, widow of John Sweet. His brother Benjamin, grandfather of Oliver Hazard Perry, the famous naval hero from the Battle of Lake Erie, was a prominent Quaker and one of five men who paid Ebenezar Slocum 40 shillings for the site of the Quaker Meeting House on Tower Hill Road. Wightman. Benjamin, son of William and Sarah Bentley, died here in 1774. https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Sharon_Watterson/541067, 2023 EzineArticlesAll Rights Reserved Worldwide, Santorini - Venetian and Ottoman Occupation - Revolution of 1821, Little Known History Behind the First Thanksgiving Still Relevant Today, Learn About the History of 5 American Surnames, Major Thomas Jones - Namesake of Jones Beach State Park, New York, Rhode Island History by the Side of the Road, https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Sharon_Watterson/541067, http://ezinearticles.com/?Rhode-Island-History-by-the-Side-of-the-Road&id=4174283. A wooden mill two and a half stories in